Posted on March 16 2021
Ever since mankind discovered the fluffy white ball of cellulose growing on the plants, we have been fascinated by its soft cushiony feel and unique properties. We are innovative with its use and have always appreciated its ability to feel premium and luxurious. History has shown us that since the invention of cotton fabric and its use as clothing, almost all the ancient civilizations, including Egypt, China, India, Persian, Peru, Arabic, and others, have perceived premium grade cotton as the choice of the royalty. Before the common era, we learned how to spin the yarn and weave the cotton fibers into the fabric. It is one of the oldest produced materials still being used and innovated. Cotton fibers and cotton fabric has since been developed and evolved and continues their journey. Cotton has been an integral part of clothing as we see it since its inception and continues to be an essential part of clothes.
Properties of cotton fabric and how to test it.
- In today’s world, we have many choices of fabrics available for our Shirts. But even so, shirts made out of cotton fabric are considered to be excellent and premium. Unlike synthetic fibres, the cotton fibres are very soft on the skin, making them very friendly and comfortable to wear. Rub the shirt gently on your cheek and check how it feels against your skin. Cotton shirt feels softer and has more texture than polyester than other materials.
- It is a natural product; the cotton fabric is safe for the body and skin, causing no allergies or reactions. Cotton also has a unique property of absorbing moisture, making it an article of natural moisture-controlling clothing that saves you from environmental and body moisture variations. In modern days, pure cotton is further mixed with other fabrics or secondary cotton fabrics to give it different unique qualities to suit our needs.
- Cotton is a natural cellulose fibre, is an excellent insulator, and has the property of breathability and compaction, making it ideal for all-weather clothing. This cotton property also makes it usable in a plethora of clothing types ranging from light beach shirts to heavy winter shirts. Use your hand and try to rag the shirt for a while if it doesn’t wrinkle, it has some other fabric or poly in it, but it is purely a cotton material if it crashes.
- Another factor to account for while choosing your shirt is the Thread Count. The thread counts of shirts generally range from 50 to thousands. Higher thread count weave is smoother, softer, and heavier, giving the royal and premium feel on the skin, whereas the lower thread count generally makes the shirt feel coarse and textured. Thread counts more than 200 is the right fabric, whereas a thread count of more than 400 is considered premium.
- Cotton fabrics can be easily dyed and colored to give it visual brilliance and appeal; this makes it a different material choice. When it comes to shirts, it produces trendy and fashionable shirts; Checkered or shirts with checks patterns are among the most sought-after fashion trends for people of all ages, ethnicities, and gender. This property makes it especially important for us to know how to choose our cotton check shirts rightly.
- The cotton in the cotton shirts have two categories, that is pure cotton and blended cotton. The blended cotton shirts are the ones in which generally polyester, linen, or rayon are added to the cotton; this makes the shirts feel like cotton but is generally more economical and has added properties to suit the use, such as wrinkle resistance, etc. On the other hand, pure cotton is more premium as it contains no synthetically produced fibres, making it genuinely natural. The Cotton shirts can have various types of cotton as their primary fibre depending upon the cotton and kind of weave origin. American Pima, Egyptian and swiss cotton are examples of fine cotton or premium cotton.